Sunday, September 28, 2008

If the kitchen is the heart of the home...

Then we're in need of a major quadruple bypass. Stat.
If you were to come to my house right now (you'd love that opportunity wouldn't you?), you might see something like this:Who am I kidding? That is exactly what you'd see. Pictures don't lie (unless we're talking about those pictures they love to show on the front page of the Enquirer. You know, the ones that feature the 800 lb baby, the boy who is half bat, or Britney Spears actually buckling her child into his carseat. Come on, you know that didn't happen).
Before you judge me too harshly, let me just say that my family lives in a place that is only 800 square feet. Break that down Mary Poppins-style and you'll realize that's only 200 square feet per person. Factor in that Bert is 7 feet tall and 3 feet wide and you'll discover that his person takes up a majority of the space, leaving little room for anything (or anyone) else. OK, so Bert's not gigantic. I'm just fishing for ways to justify my untidiness. To recap, we have a lot of stuff squeezed into a small space. Unfortunately that alone cannot explain the chaos captured in these pictures.
The problem in this kitchen area is twofold:
1. I have a hard time staying on top of the dishes. I often don't unload the dishwasher right away which leads to a pileup of dishes in the sink and on the counter. Before I know it, dirty dishes have overtaken the kitchen. Like so:
2. The top of the dishwasher is a separate issue, but since it's in the same area, I'm going to tackle it too. When I have something in hand that doesn't have a home, I place it on the dishwasher. This could be anything, really--preschool papers, junk mail, important mail, bins of various sizes, I'm sure if we looked hard enough we might even be able to find a government rebate check lurking under there somewhere. Do you see one? Seriously, I could use some extra cash right now. I'd be most appreciative if you uncovered one for me.
So for my next challenge, I'm going to (let's be very clear about this):
1. empty the dishwasher as soon as the dishes are clean. That will allow me to...
2. place all dirty dishes directly in the dishwasher, so that i can...
3. keep the sink clean and clear, and while I'm at it...
4. keep the top of the dishwasher clutter-free.

FYI, I'm not abandoning the workout plan. I'll keep posting brief updates on that vice so that you can continue to cheer me on. Because where would I be without you readers? Evidently I'd be sitting on my flat butt buried under a mountain of clutter and dirty dishes, searching for that rebate check.

4 comments:

Kiki said...

Ken and I have a deal...I cook, he cleans the kitchen, thank goodness, because otherwise we would be eating off paper plates and using plastic forks and knives every night of the week...it looks like you're doing pretty well compared to my abilites to keep a clean kitchen!!! Great plan though, good luck!!!

Mary Poppins said...

kiki--brilliant plan, that trade off with your husband. bert is already bathing the kids after dinner. perhaps i can persuade him to throw the dishes in the bath as well and get everyone and everything clean at once. i'll have to think about this one. glad you had fun with mrs. f.

Kiki said...

Hee hee, maybe you can give the kids a sponge whilst in the tub and get them scrubbing??? There's a plan there somewhere...

I had such fun with Mrs.F...wish I had more days like that, a friend to hang out with and she just gets it...it was just easy to hang out with her. {{sighs}}

Mary Poppins said...

kiki--when i talked to mrs. f she said you were terrific, especially with the kids. bonus. so glad a fun time was had by all.