Monday, September 22, 2008

On second thought....

A couple of things happened today that forced me to reevaluate my workout goal for the week.
This morning I found Bert finishing up some laundry. He pulled some jeans out of the drier and proceeded to put them on. I think you probably know where I'm going with this. Witness:

Note to self: when Bert thinks your jeans are his, you've got a problem. When he can put them on (no, he couldn't zip them, but still they're on his body), you've got a big problem.

Unfortunately, that's not my only problem. Witness:
This may look like an ordinary birthday cake, but I can assure you, it is a heart attack waiting to happen. So my friend recommended this coconut cake recipe, and since Bert loves coconut I figured I'd for once play the doting wife part and make it for his birthday. Running late, as usual, I didn't even look at the recipe before I headed off to the store. Using the recipe as a shopping list, I proceeded to gather the ingredients for the cake, filling, and frosting (yes, that's right--3 separate recipes for one cake). Want to know what's in this bad boy? Along with the regular cake ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, vanilla, etc) when you eat this you'll consume 3 pounds of butter, 6 and 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream, 11 cups of coconut, 9 cups of sugar and (you protein people out there will be pleased to hear this figure) 6 eggs. The message this cake seems to be sending is: HAPPY BIRTHDAY BERT! (I'm slowly trying to kill you).
Stepping up my cardio is definitely in order this week and 4 is going to be the magic number. I'll now be doing 4 40-minute sessions. My heart (and my jeans) will thank me.

5 comments:

Kiki said...

Are those Long and Lean jeans from Gap...I'd know that hem anywhere!!!! Second, is that the Barefoot Contessa's recipe for Coconut Cake, she just made it today and it looked just like yours and had almost the same ingredients!!!

Enjoy the cake...there's always tomorrow!!!

Mary Poppins said...

kiki--what a style guru you are! too bad bert doesn't have your eye for jeans; they are indeed long and lean. you've made my day saying that the barefoot contessa's cake looked just like mine. maybe it wasn't a total flop after all. my recipe was actually from martha stewart. i make it a policy to support reformed convicts when i can.

Kiki said...

You'll see I work for the company, 20 years now, so I kind of have that stuff down!!! That cake did look awesome and I love Martha, love her...so you keep supporting her and rock on with your bad self!!!Heehee!

Steve and Kenna said...

Happy Birthday to you and Bert! Hope your cake was good, because it does look delicious!

Mrs Furious said...

"Note to self: when Bert thinks your jeans are his, you've got a problem."

Bwahahaha

height precludes that from ever happening around here ;)