Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Omama!


Look at his smile. That is one happy man. When you notice the strategic placement of his face, I think it's pretty obvious why he's so happy.

I recently got this shirt not to showcase my physique, but instead to showcase my Obama pride. Much to my parents' chagrin I am a registered Democrat. And I can understand their disappointment. I'm inculcating my daughters with Democrat ideals at an early age. And I would be sad if years down the road they turned against that and started voting Republican. (This isn't a rant against Republicans, by the way. I dearly love many Republicans, I just don't happen to agree with their ideology).
From the time she was 3, my oldest would respond "Democrats" when asked "who do we vote for?" We've talked about how women weren't always allowed to vote and so in our day it's especially important that we exercise the right that so many women before us fought so hard to attain. I take her to the polling place every election day and have her stand next to me as I cast my vote. That could have backfired on me the year I accidentally marked the "Republican ticket" box, thereby voting for every Republican on the ballot. Luckily I realized my mistake before my vote was counted. And thankfully she was too little to remember that voting error.
Now that my youngest is 19 months old, I want her to get in on the political action. The first time I wore this Obama shirt I pointed to his picture and repeated "Obama" over and over. She finally started to say "Omama." That was several days ago. You can imagine my pleasure when she saw me in this Obama shirt today, pointed and declared "Omama!" Then while driving in the car and listening to a report about Obama on NPR, I heard her echo "Omama" from her carseat behind me. As far as I'm concerned, you're never too young to recognize a winner. Too bad she is too young to vote.

Sugar situation: yesterday I ate one chocolate pecan turtle. It seemed kind of lonely in my stomach and I desperately wanted to consume another so the pair of turtles wouldn't be lonely down there. But I resisted.

5 comments:

Angie said...

LOL, you crack me up. Why am I not surprised that you are already brainwashing your daughters with Obama? I'm just kidding. You know I love you and your democratic ways. You need to teach her to say Obama mamma. That would be even better! I can just see your proud face when she noticed your shirt. How funny. Maybe I should start paying attention to the elections and decide who I am going to vote for. Any ideas?

Mary Poppins said...

dodge party-- Omama mama does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Liz said...

Hey Mary! I love your tee shirt. I would have gotten one, but I already get crazy looks from the Brits to begin with. We proudly voted before we left for the UK, we weren't going to let a little ocean stop us from casting our vote!

amydear said...

Um, don't read my next blog post, okay? You'll be very disappointed with me. But I had to tell you that a few weeks ago Hayden was walking around the house repeatedly chanting "Barack Obama." Then he turned to me and said, "What's a barack obama?" Apparently we haven't had the same lessons at our house. : )

Mary Poppins said...

liz--glad you found me. and way to go with the absentee ballot. oh that all americans were as dedicated.

amydear--you'd better believe i'll be reading it. but i won't hold it against you. an answer for hayden: our next president.