Tuesday, October 14, 2008

4:20

It's a good time for watching Oprah, or thinking about what I should start fixing for dinner, or walking my eldest home from preschool, or straightening up the mayhem around me. It's also supposedly a good time to get high. That's not what I do at 4:20, though. It's not like I'm a character from Weeds or something.

My favorite activity at 4:20 am is sleeping. Sadly though this morning my oldest woke me up at 4:20 because she'd had a bad dream. By the time I got her settled back in her bed and sleeping again, I was wide awake. Of course. The good news is I got my workout in before my kids woke up.

Bert is still out of town so he's not around to take a turn with these early morning wake up calls. I get particularly annoyed when there's no one but me to deal with this day after day. It just doesn't seem fair that I'm the only one whose sleep has to suffer.

Well it turns out I don't have a right to complain about this particular injustice. Not today anyway. Guess who received a phone call at 5:30am from our 18 month-old? Looks like she was playing with my cell and managed to speed dial him. Even from thousands of miles away she succeeded in waking him up earlier than he wanted.

I can't decide if I feel sorry for him (I know I'd be looking forward to waking up at a decent hour if I were staying in a hotel room all by myself) or if secretly I'm a little bit happy that I wasn't the only one whose sleep they managed to sabotage this morning. Does that make me a bad person? Immature, yes. But bad?

And now for the sugar situation: I am proud to say I only ate one chocolate pecan turtle yesterday. It was the biggest one in the box, but still it was only one.

3 comments:

Angie said...

LOL, this is the best post! I'm sorry that you were woken up so early by thing 1, but that's awesome that thing 2 totally woke up Bert. That's hilarious. Poor guy. I feel like we haven't talked in forever. WE need to get together. Way to go on the treat situation and the workout situation. That's awesome.

Suzy said...

Sweet Justice!! Love it!!

And that thing you mentioned about picking the biggest turtle in the box...I do that with pizza slices EVERY time. It bugs the heck out of my husband, mostly because he's jealous. I figure if you're going to indulge, you might as well go big.

Mary Poppins said...

dodge party--i'm happy you enjoyed the story. call me back.

suzy--so glad to have you on my side. i love the way you think.