Saturday, November 1, 2008

At Least It's Not Vodka I'm After

Duet has not slept in past 5:00am in over a week. Translation: I have not slept in past 5:00am in over a week. I've had enough. The first thing I did when I woke up this morning was eat a giant frosted sugar cookie. It's the Mary Poppins version of starting my day off with a good, stiff drink.
I'm not a drinker, but on mornings like these I can understand the need. I probably inherited that sympathy from my grandpa, Edgar. And no, that's not a fictional name. That's the real deal, folks. One morning when my cousin was 10, our grandpa asked him to bring him a screwdriver. My innocent 10 year-old cousin (did I mention that he was 10?) produced a phillips-head screwdriver. Apparently Edgar was less than thrilled to have a household tool in his hand instead of the desired glass of orange juice and vodka.
Many sleep-deprived years later I can sympathize with him a bit. I'm not sure that I would have been able to make it through the day had I not been able to perk myself up with a pre-breakfast sugar cookie. Thankfully with my vice there's no possibility for object confusion. If I ask 4 year-old Una to fetch me a sugar cookie, you can bet I'll be getting a sugar cookie, and not something else.

4 comments:

Angie said...

I'm sorry dear. Any ideas as to why she is waking up so early? I hope that it will end soon, for both of your sanity. Don't you love those days when you can finally understand why people would turn to a drink? I have those days where I wonder. Call me if you need some help.

Steve and Kenna said...

Good luck with the lack of sleep. I know where you are coming from....those little ones need to know how to tell time.

Aubrey said...

Welcome to my life. I have to wake up at 5 to get to work on time :(

I just read this comment to Col and he said "Waa. Cry baby." No sympathy!

Mary Poppins said...

dodge party--i've concluded that she's waking up early to torture me. thanks for the offer.

kenna--amen.

aubrey--sorry you're not getting any sympathy from col. or maybe i read that wrong and i'm not getting any sympathy from col. the bottom line is, no one should have to get up at 5am.