Sunday, November 30, 2008

I Hate "I Heart"

This is nothing but negative, but it needs to be said (and I should add that it is not directed at any particular individual). Besides, I've had a fever for the past 24 hours, so I'm feeling miserable and am therefore entitled to complain a bit.

Since when did it become acceptable for adults to use the phrase "I heart?"

Witness the difference:

I love apple pie, endangered wildlife, and reading current events.

I heart apple pie, I heart panda bears, I heart People Magazine.

All of the above statements may be true, but notice that I sound like a rational adult in the former sentence and a pre-teen girl in the latter.

And it's not even a clever phrase. It wasn't terribly clever when the mediocre movie "I Heart Huckabees" came on the scene a few years back, and it's certainly less clever now. It's one of those things that (like Joan Rivers) does not age well.

Admittedly, those "I (picture of a heart) NY" tourist t-shirts have been around forever. We've become so accustomed to them by now that it doesn't seem like an egregious misuse of the English language and an assault on our intelligence when we sporadically see some post-vacationer sporting their tacky souvenier. But in any other context, I heart is just plain unacceptable.

The last time I wrote I (picture of a heart) anything was back in the 7th grade when I wrote "I (picture of a heart) Randy" on the homemade paper bag bookcover of my pre-algebra textbook. Incidentally, that was in reference to Randy, a boy in my grade, not the Randy of American Idol fame. It's one of those things like pegged pants, neon colored leggings, out-of-control bangs, braces, and a minor Milli Vanilli obsession, that belong in my 7th grade past.

So I implore you, no more I heart! Let's just embrace the fact that we are adults and can and should use other words to convey our adoration of _________________(fill in the blank with whatever it is you love, appreciate, cherish, treasure, prize, value, like, enjoy, delight in, dig, fancy, relish, revel in, covet, crave, die for, wish for, yearn for, etc.). With so many acceptable alternatives, why settle for I heart?

This week's plan is to continue with the Core Program. I know I won't completely overcome my inflexibility in a matter of weeks, but I need to concentrate on this for another week before adding a new goal to my plate. Oh and now that my week of vacation and Thanksgiving are over, I'm back on the 1 treat per weekday plan.

5 comments:

Kiki said...

Heehee...thanks for the giggle, I resisted writing I (heart) this post....but couldn't ignore the relevance and had to say it anyway!!! Be as cranky as you want...truthfully, its kind of funny...its your blog, manage it how you want!!!

Mrs Furious said...

"not the Randy of American Idol fame"
That was a good one... I really did have a bust out loud laugh.

Aubrey said...

I agree and can suggest an alternative for NY tourists. Much cooler than the I heart NY shirt is
this I cupcake NY t-shirt
from Magnolia Bakery.

Angie said...

yeah adults definitely should NOT use that phrase. It reminds of my nieces in middle school and high school. People are funny and just follow with the trends. Thank you for not being that person! I love this ranting post. It made me smile while I am sitting here bored out of my mind at work. I'm sorry you were sick today. Good thing I didn't call to see if you would cover for me today. Keith went to church alone and taught the lesson. Thanks to Bert for helping him out so I could be sick at home too!

Mary Poppins said...

kiki-- now you've made me giggle by writing "i (heart) this post."

mrs f--if i were to write that same love declaration today it would totally be about the american idol randy. i love that dawg.

aubrey--i'll make sure bert doesn't pick up a tacky i heart ny shirts for me when he visits you next month. the cupcake suggestion is parfait.

angie--glad you're in agreement and i'm sorry you were sick too. glad you're feeling better.