Friday, January 16, 2009

We're Good People

So, I've been quite taken with this US Airways jet landing in the Hudson river story. Perhaps you've heard about it. So scary (especially as I think about Bert getting ready for two flights this week). Yet so miraculous. The hero of the day is the airline Cap'n. Out of respect, I should probably write "Captain," but out of respect for the cereal I know and love, I'm calling him Cap'n. Plus, the Cap'n and I have something in common so I feel that I can be a little more familiar with him. You see, I just found out that the Cap'n and I hail from the same hometown. I'm not saying that makes me a hero (although I did just get certified in CPR and First Aid, so you never know), but I'm pleased to be presented with more proof that great people come from my hometown. Mary Poppins, the Cap'n, Christy Turlington (don't pretend you don't know who that famous model is); it's an impressive group. So thanks, Cap'n for all your fine work and for making the people of Danville proud.

By the way, Wed night I managed to be in bed before 10:30pm and had a great night's sleep, thanks in part to Bert who woke up with little Duet (wh,o as you may recall, likes to wake up before the break of day). Trust me, I needed the clarity of mind that comes with a good night's sleep for on Thurs I encountered a lot of minor emergencies (such as a subbing job, a last-minute trip to the garage to get our car fixed that resulted in getting home well past our kids' bedtime). With all of the unplanned activity, I ended up staying up later than I'd hoped since I had a lot to catch up on. My bedtime was more like 11:00pm. Tonight I should manage to meet my goal.

3 comments:

Mrs Furious said...

"but out of respect for the cereal I know and love, I'm calling him Cap'n"
hilarious

I'm obsessed w/ the plane crash but mostly because I was traumatized by the '82 flight that crashed into the Potomac. Water landings have always been my worst fear... so I was happy everyone survived. I almost posted about it today.

had something else to day but can't remember what...

Mrs Furious said...

oh yes... Christy Turlington went to NYU when I did and was in a class with my best friend (at the time). One night at dinner another friend asked him what she was wearing to class and he said "um... not what Rachel is wearing." Of course I had on a weird men's used black tee shirt (XL) that said "Out Of Control" in neon green writing and some bizarre short man's used jeans. What can I say it was the era.

Mary Poppins said...

mrs-f-- i knew you'd totally be into the water landing. i'm laughing hysterically about the out of control shirt. that's too funny. if only christy had your fashion sense.