Monday, February 16, 2009

Romance Chez Mary

Valentine's Day has come and gone. One of the difficulties one faces while raising children in a semi-impoverished state (such as my own), is that finding the means to go out for a special evening with one's spouse is a rarity. Babysitters after all, charge money. And the last time when I tried to pay with a combination of monopoly money, a private Hannah Montana-style concert starring yours yours truly, as well as private tutoring in the dance moves made famous on High School Musical, I was thoroughly rebuffed (yes I can perform the dance to "We're All in This Together." Furthermore, I have performed it on stage in front of an auditorium of parents and peers. Just one of the perks of being a dance teacher to young kids). Teenagers these days are so picky. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't have taken that deal as a teenager either. So this weekend Bert and I found ourselves babysitter-less for Valentine's Day.
The ever-resourceful person that I am, however tried to make up for this by lining up a babysitting exchange with a neighbor. By the way, a babysitting exchange is exactly what it sounds like. I agreed to babysit my neighbor's kids one night while she and her husband went out, and she in turn agreed to watch my kids while Bert and I went out. Unfortunately when we ro-sham-bo'd for the date night, I lost (no, we didn't actually play paper, rock, scissors to determine who would go out on Valentine's Day. How juvenile do you think I am? On second thought, don't answer that question. I did, after all just confess to knowing the choreography from High School Musical). It was determined that Bert and I would go out on the unlucky Friday the 13th and we would join the ranks of unpopular high school girls by babysitting on the most romantic day of the year. Except, unlike high school girls, I am popular and I would be performing this service for free. Lucky me.
Last week my sweet Duet caught a slight cold and was snoring at night. Poor Duet. Poor Mary. One of the difficulties one faces while raising children in a semi-impoverished state (such as my own), is that you end up sharing a bedroom with your husband and your nearly 2 year old daughter because you cannot afford to live in a place that has 3 bedrooms. And before I go any further, let me preemptively answer the question that is on your mind: yes, we tried having Una and Duet share a room but Duet awakens well before dawn, and in doing so wakes up Una. In this scenario I find myself with 2 cranky children and a cranky personality of my own. By sharing a room with Duet, I subtract one cranky child from the mix (since Una isn't in close enough proximity to hear her wake up) and this makes life more tolerable for all.
Where were we?
Ah, yes. The snoring child.
So last week Duet's snoring was keeping me up at night. That would have been acceptable if she'd chosen to sleep in until a reasonable hour. But she was instead waking up at 5:00 every morning. So I was averaging 4-5 hours of sleep each night for 5 nights and not handling the sleep depravation very well. By Friday night there was one thing that I craved more than anything else. That thing didn't involve Bert in the slightest. More than a pseudo-Valentine's Day date on Friday the 13th, I wanted to sleep. So I called my neighbor and cancelled her services for the evening, took a unisom, bade Bert good-night, and climbed into bed at 8:00pm. You'd better believe I slept in until 8:00am the next day. Happy Valentine's Day, indeed. Who needs dinner, chocolate, flowers, heart-shaped jewelry, or teddy bears when they can have sleep? OK, so I maintain that no grown woman should ever receive a teddy bear from her beloved. Especially not on Valentine's Day. And heart-shaped jewelry? Really? I'm sure I would have thought it was pretty when I was 5 and my favorite colors were pink and purple. But now that I'm all grown up, I prefer Tiffany, and instead of pink and purple, I choose blue. Tiffany blue. For the record, I'll take dinner, chocolate, and flowers nearly anytime. Just not when I'm sleep deprived.
On Valentine's night a rested Mary headed over to the neighbor's house where she raided the refrigerator, texted her BFF's, spent hours on Facebook, channel surfed, and put off studying for her algebra midterm. Just like all of the other Valentine's Day babysitters.

45 comments:

Denise Eskelson said...

Yeah! Mary's back. Your entries have been missed. Sorry about your V-day. Sounds like we had similar nights. Our plans were canceled due to an upset stomach on Friday night and then I spent Saturday watching someone else's kids. Fun times.

Angie said...

It's about time you blogged again. Not that I have been any better. I'm sorry that you didn't get to go out and celebrate. It's just a hallmark holiday anyway. I was so glad that you came and helped me on Sunday. I really appreciate that. Can I take you out to lunch sometime to re-pay you?

Steve and Kenna said...

If it makes you feel better your Valentine's day was better than mine. Happy to see your back in the blog world.

klortz said...

It's good to see a new post. Our Valentine's Day wasn't so glamorous either. We made treats and watched a movie (in the dark while reclining- and only reclining- on the pull-out couch). It was fine but I look forward to more romantic and creative dates in the future. Some day, Mary, some day.

Shobe said...

Sounds like you need the kind of friend who says, "Valentine's Day? Oh we never celebrate that." and takes your kids for the evening. Not to brag...but we had a friend like that this year. Hooray for scrooge friends!

said...

困難的不在於新概念,而在於逃避舊有的概念。.........................

英文發音真難 said...

看看blog放鬆一下,工作累死了.... ..................................................

時尚 said...

好的部落格就要和好朋友分享--感謝分享.........................

宥軒 said...

做愛色情片做愛色情影片免費色情論壇色情網小說色情秀性愛片試看性愛自慰高潮影片性愛色情片性愛色情影片性愛免費短片性愛刺激性愛呻吟性愛姿勢大全性愛昭式性愛敏感地帶性愛短片免費看性愛圖網東洋無碼動畫下載區亞洲線上免費杜雷斯成人貼圖杜蕾斯貼片區杜蕾斯貼圖片區杜蕾斯貼圖網杜蕾斯漫畫杜蕾斯影片分享杜蕾斯線上片杉本彩寫真集杉原杏璃影片男人貼圖站男女免費線上影片視訊辣妹亞洲情色風暴貼圖杜蕾斯成人拓網交友

于名于倫 said...

面對光明,陰影就在我們身後!加油哦! ....................................................

邱志誠 said...

樂觀進取,勇往直前,持之以恒,是克服困難的妙方。......................................................

NicolaSigel0508 said...

只有尋常才幹,但具有不尋常恆心的人,一切皆可獲取 ..................................................

DesiraeF_Creech0709 said...

處順境須謹慎,處逆境要忍耐。........................................

昭士松修 said...

累死了…來去看看文章轉換心情~........................................

ManualDoby08787 said...

A片-殺很大 成人a影片論壇 kk777視訊俱樂部 avdvd情色影片 嘟嘟無碼a片情色 視訊聊天 視訊交友聊天室 avdvd無碼情色電影 卡通美女a片免費試看 小魔女免費影片3d 美女視訊免費看 哈拉網路成人區 jp成人jp58 avooo影音 a片天堂 ut影音視訊聊天室13077 aa免費影片 s383情色大網咖免費a片 網愛聊天室 hilive-免費影片 甜心寶貝貼影片 免費成人片觀賞 xvediox免費影片 sod特輯 sex520免費影片yawu uthome視訊聊天室 av女優王國 情色a片flashxyz utobe影片分享 小弟貼影片 bt成人 免費視訊美眉 A片-sex520 免費a片 獸皇影片分享區 小澤圓線上免費影片 女生自衛影片 日本a電影 okav成人影院 免費avdvd影片 免費線上影片 情色a片 免費無碼a片 小魔女影片交流 嘟嘟情人色網影片 華人色片 ol線上免費影片 葉子媚影片分享 色瞇瞇影片網 熟女人影片 金瓶影片交流區-無碼a片 免費影片-無碼a片 免費影片欣賞 aaaaa7777788 卡提諾成人 . . . .

韋于倫成 said...

我們老得太快,卻聰明得太遲。 ....................................................

紫勳 said...

精彩的文章是我停留的理由~........................................

韋于倫成 said...

命運,就是自己行為的結果。 ....................................................

于呈均名 said...

your son/daughter is so cute............................................................

長卉長卉 said...

your son/daughter is so cute............................................................

ShilaLong嘉雯 said...

you two make a lovely couple............................................................

宥妃 said...

真是太猛了,請受小弟一拜Orz(>O<)..................................................

志維志維志維 said...

變天了~~注意身體,別感冒囉! .................................................................

曉薇 said...

好想睡覺哦~上班摸魚看看blog.................................................................

江婷 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。......................................................................

江婷 said...

Poverty tries friends.................................................................

凱文凱文 said...

人生是故事的創造與遺忘。............................................................

佳順佳順 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

芳容222許林堅林芳容儀 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

婉婷 said...

很精彩的部落格 期待你的繼續加油..................................................................

吳婷婷 said...

生活很多細節都要小心點,請多保重 ............................................................

宛真宛真 said...

先為別人的快樂著想,是超人;先為自己的快樂著想,是凡人;使別人不快樂,自己也不快樂的,是笨人。..................................................

吳勇佩吳勇佩 said...

你的部落內容真棒,一定要持續下去! ............................................................

芳綠 said...

喜歡自己的另一層意義是「接納自己」。..................................................

bur蔡ge佳ssal郁berto said...

我們必須先有哭泣,才有歡笑;也必須先感到人生的悲哀,然後才感到人生的快樂。............................................................

劉傑汝劉傑汝 said...

Lets cross the bridge when we come to it............................................................

奕蕭君 said...

幸福沒有鑰匙,只有梯子。.................................................................

文吳云 said...

不要去想沒拿到的東西,多想想自己手裡所擁有的..................................................

張黃柏亞武茜 said...

Learn wisdom by the follies of others.............................................................

韋陳富 said...

Subtlety is better than force. ......................................................................

偉曹琬 said...

文章不求沽名釣譽,率性就是真的..................................................................

靜蔡蔡蔡蔡怡 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。............................................................

孫邦柔 said...

愛情不是慈善事業,不能隨便施捨。......................................................................

于庭吳 said...

很棒的分享~留言支持!............................................................

麗王王珠 said...

加油!!! 很棒的分享~